Rarotonga.

Dr Awesome

Who's been?

I'm heading over there for a week on Friday to chill the fuck out and miss Kode9, also turn 20. Anyone got suggestions of what to do?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll have done everything by day 3. Just leaving me to spend the rest of my time eating coconuts, drinking kava and lazing on the beach in subtropical weather. Cunt.

I've been. Was real nice. I stayed at a backpackers called vara's. Was lagoon front and 15 bucks NZ a night! Definatley hire a scooter, Varas let us hire ours without gettin a licence which was ace.

Check a island night, they are always fun. Did all my boozing at banana court. funny as bar. Snorkelling wise, check the fruits of rarotonga best spot i found.

For a nice meal go to The Flame Tree, pricey but epic or hit the burger bar on the docks.

Enjoy the sun dude.

Some good advice from C steppa

Make sure you do hire the scooter its such good fun just crusing around the island stopping as you please to check stuff out. You can drive around the entire island in a couple of hours.

The thing you cannot miss however is a rarotongan drumming group. Dont see the cheesy ones at the hotels etc go find the real thing. It will blow your mind, there are usually about 20 - 30 guys all going nuts on their hollowed out logs. They have so many different rhythms moving in and out of each other seamlessly, seriously one of the coolest things i have ever seen.

Eat lots of seafood and local fruits, starfruit was a favourite of mine.

Ah chur, did you go up to the top of mountain in the middle? I'm pretty keen to go cruse through the jungle, killing pigs and fat children. It'd be like Bear Grillz in a Lord Of the Flies special. I don't think you can really get lost either.

Yeah Starfruit is badass, I used to eat it in Malaysia. Also the place I'm staying in is more of a motel than a resort and has a BBQ outside + cook top inside too, which means I can try out more of the local stuff. Defo keen to go fishing, might fork up for some sort of charter so I can catch and then eat me some tuna or mau mau or whatever else is going.

PS, the place is called the Cook Island Oasis.

Na i didn't check the mountain in the middle i wish i did. I did go on mish to one of the outer islands i can't remember the name but that is also highly reccomended, a bit pricey but amazing diving/scenery.

@ C Steppa i didn't see that either but

dude. your at an island paradise. get the fuck off the net

Koru lounge is in Auckland airport. Not quite the best holiday destination I can think of

Free food and drinks sounds better than my place

dude. your at an island paradise. get the fuck off the net

Koru lounge is in Auckland airport. Not quite the best holiday destination I can think of

As an aside, the Air Canada lounge at LAX had a 3L bottle of CC just sitting amongst the other refreshments. That was all kinds of win.

Pretty sweet eh, water's ridiculously clear and full of fish. Was just the right temperature too (although the locals hardly swim it ironically as its too cold for them this time of year). It was humid and warm without being oppressive like Asia. It was sunny every day for me too, only raining at night. The locals were amazingly friendly, and not even in a "bloody tourists" kind of way. Plenty of good places to eat and chill out.

When I first got there I thought I'd stumbled across a massive tropical MJ plantation, which was pretty exciting, but it was only this arrow root stuff.

Ate heaps of fish (Marlin was about $10 a KG iirc) and fresh fruit. They had these greeny yellow passion fruit too that were amazingly sweet. Papaw's were just coming into season too. Food at the two supermarkets didn't seem a lot more expensive than NZ, although some things were bizarrely 3x the price. Restaurant meals, esp with fish (as per mentioned) tended to be the same as or cheaper than AKL prices.

Would recommend hugely.