swine flu

Pakage

fukin a. here we go..

Health Minister Tony Ryall has this evening confirmed ten positive influenza results from testing carried out on 13 Rangitoto College students who returned from Mexico early yesterday morning.

"Ministry of Health officials advise me there is no guarantee these students have swine influenza, but they consider it likely. All precautions are being taken to allow for this. However, I am also informed none of the affected patients are considered seriously ill, and most in fact seem to be on the road to recovery," said Tony Ryall.

"I am advised ten students have tested positive for Influenza A, and these results will now be sent to the World Health Organisation laboratory in Melbourne to ascertain whether it is the H1N1 swine influenza."

H1N1 influenza is a subset of influenza A.

A timeline when those results will be available will be advised, however it is expected given the global situation that they will be treated with considerable urgency.

80 dead already in mexico alone and its not just killing infants and old people like bird flu, its striking down all ages.

break out the gas masks kids.

im trying not to get all hypercondric about it, but i think ill be sporting a bandana over my face tomorrow at school.

take care out there peeps.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i quoted from nzherald..

hahah whoh fully missed that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8017585.stm

How worried should people be?

When any new strain of flu emerges that acquires the ability to pass from person to person, it is monitored very closely in case it has the potential to spark a pandemic.

The World Health Organization has warned that taken together the Mexican and US cases could potentially trigger a global pandemic, and stress that the situation is serious.

However, it is stressed that it is still too early to accurately assess the situation fully.

Currently, they say the world is closer to a flu pandemic than at any point since 1968 - rating the threat at three on a six-point scale.

Nobody knows the full potential impact of the pandemic, but experts have warned that it could cost millions of lives worldwide. The Spanish flu pandemic, which began in 1918, and was also caused by an H1N1 strain, killed millions of people.

The fact that all the cases in the US have so far produced mild symptoms is encouraging. It suggests that the severity of the Mexican outbreak may be due to an unusual geographically-specific factor - possibly a second unrelated virus circulating in the community - which would be unlikely to come into play in the rest of the world.

However, the fact that many of the victims are young does point to something unusual. Normal, seasonal flu tends to affect the elderly disproportionately.

Wonder whats going to happen, I got a mate planning on going to mexico in the next week or so he'll be gutted if this gets serious

Did you lot learn nothing from the bird flu "epidemic"

Its load of shite imo, scare mongering crap.

I'm sure the people who died from bird flu thought the same...

yeah the threat seems pretty real if you ask me

let's hope it's not tho!

*edit: the tinfoil hat/lizard people theorists are all over this one....

http://www.infowars.com/swine-flu-is-deadly-mix-of-never-before-seen-viruses/

"Swine flu panic is spreading in Mexico and soldiers are patrolling the streets after it was confirmed that human to human transmission is occurring and that the virus is a brand new strain which is seemingly affecting young, healthy people the worst, and that the bug is a never-before-seen intercontinental mixture of human, avian and pig viruses from America, Europe and Asia.

Clues that the virus may be a synthetic creation are already manifesting.

According to reports, the virus is a “never-before-seen form of the flu that combines pig, bird and human virusesâ€

wow, i'm not sure whether those reports from the source quoted above have been corroborated, but there are mentions of some scary BB stuff in there...

like the haemophiliac injection drug which was found to have been contaminated with HIV, then taken off market in the US and distributed knowingly to europe and other countries.

(but not south africa or iraq because a little blond told me that the us america is working on education,and such to provide maps for south africa and some other asian countries and such...)

or how was the case of influenza vaccines being distributed globally that were purposely infected with the H5N1 flu strain, infecting the very people who sought to become "immune" to flu thus spreading that strain in the hope of creating a pandemic...

and now we have this genetic anomally popping up, looking like a lab creatied synthetic version of influenza...

if this breaks out here i'm going bush.

although, with a swine flu airborne i guess wild boar is off the menu

Did you lot learn nothing from the bird flu "epidemic"

I'm sure the people who died from bird flu thought the same...

Haha i souldn't post when im drunk and tired.

What im getting at is the fact that hundreds of thousands of people die in places like india and china every year from new and old strains of rapidly changing viruses. But nobody reports these things so we all carry on with our lives none the wiser. No disrespect to the victims of bird flu im getting at the media and the reasons it covers certain things and not others

And lets not forget how much money was made on the bird flu saga either through the sale of tami flu.

And lets not forget how much money was made on the bird flu saga either through the sale of tami flu.

simple formula to make money off sale of service/soluiton.

step 1)create a problem/bug/virus

step 2)distribute said bug into a system with a self inducing means of transmission

step 3) wait for SOS phone calls asking you to provide a solution

step 4) laugh all the way to your swiss bank account

people do this with computers and it's pretty widely accepted as NOT a conspiracy theory. so why wouldn't there be someone out there who will do it on the general populace?

I wouldn't say that there isn't a possibility it's human-ufactured...

But influenza is perfectly capable of mutating by itself and killing hundreds of millions... it doesn't need the help.

Bird Flu had nothing on Swine flu... it was always the fear that it would mutate into something like swine flu which infects from person to person.

Tom... wouldn't you say the fear is valid, considering past events/pandemics?

The 1918 "Spanish Flu" had a mortality rate of 2.5% and killed between 20 and 40 million people. (The number may have been lower outside of a World War, but it's still staggering.

I aggree with you though, it's rediculous how hung up the media gets on western health affairs compared to obviously much more extreme Asain/African cases. But this is an exception in my view, it's just happened that this outbreak has originated in the west... if it was elsewhere we would still be hyped

Yeah i think its valid to be worried about the situation but its also just as valid to think that we are yet again being scammed on the world stage. To clarify im not of the opinion these are man made although its totally possible and i would never rule it out.

As i said before dude and i think you already realise these strains of ever evolving viruses kill thousands upon thousands of people worldwide every year. But there is no "Face" for want of a better word to put to the virus's. But with bird flu the media had their tangible enemy. They then drum up the hype and BLAM suddenly its an epedemic and you should all go and get immunised immediatly or suffer a horrible death.

lol, i just saw an epic fail on one of the nzherald vids about swine flu.

there was a dude handing out those surgical mask things to people on the street and he was wearing one, but it was only covering his mouth.

Did you lot learn nothing from the bird flu "epedemic"

while the media capatilises on the typical human response to these kinds of events, i dont think its wise to ignore the whole ordeal.

jusat dont listen to the medias version, theyre c*nts

simple formula to make money off sale of service/soluiton.

step 1)create a problem/bug/virus

step 2)distribute said bug into a system with a self inducing means of transmission

step 3) wait for SOS phone calls asking you to provide a solution

step 4) laugh all the way to your swiss bank account

people do this with computers and it's pretty widely accepted as NOT a conspiracy theory. so why wouldn't there be someone out there who will do it on the general populace?

You're talking about 'Problem-Reaction-Solution'.

It gets used for lots of stuff.