Maori Flag

Pakage

Do you think the maori flag should be flown on waitangi day?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the maori flag should be flown on waitangi day?

• yes
    • no
    • dont care
    • i think it should be flown every day

So the government isnt letting the Maori Flag get flown on the harbour bridge this year, but its considering it for the future. they say they want to give iwi time to decide which flag should be flown as theres a few different ones. But Ngati Whatua has agreed that the tino rangatiratanga flag could be flown this year, but the Maori Affairs Minister Dr Pita Sharple still wants to hold a lengthy consultaion about the matter and wont give the flag the go ahead.

Link

whats your opinion?

Foreshore!

Im in two minds about this issue..

On one hand I loathe the current new zealand flag with the buthchers apron emblazened on it.. I think NZ needs to move away from the shadow of british rule and the history .

and on the other I respect the tino rana tina tanga flag as it symbolises a unified nation of pakeha and maori ,,, But I dont think thats really happened yet so it feels a bit hypocritical.. That flag to me is a pre revolutionary flag and should be kept as such.

However I think that pita sharples , while he is all blah blah about people being equal I think he is a bit of a nationalist and could well be the new Winston, so his "lets have big talks about the flag " stuff is just gonna b used to fleece the purse strings of the state and probably create more anger and devision.

NZ flag b2b Maori Flag would do the trick i reckon.

is that what they would do?

yeah. both flags. the harbour bridge has 2 flag poles, one on each side (east & west) of the bridge in the middle.

afaik they used to fly the nz flag on one pole and then random ones on the other, just depending on what was going on, eg. if we had a sporting fixture against another country, they would fly that countries flag on the bridge next to ours.

but in June 2007 Transit NZ changed their policy to say:

"The New Zealand flag will be the sole flag flown on the Auckland Harbour Bridge. It will be flown on both flagpoles and will fly at half-mast on occasions of national mourning as directed by the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage."

and they also had this to say:

“The Transit Board appreciates the interest many people have in what flag is flying on the bridge on any given day. However, our focus needs to be about the safe and efficient operation of the state highway networkâ€

NZ's tall poppy syndrome kicks into overdrive with this shit.

Anywhere else in the world you go, you'll never see them fly another country's flag anywhere prominent at all.

Two flags is a joke, as is the Maori flag, racism works both ways, and separatism does nobody any favours. The white hick backlash at this will fuel stupid Maori activist fires creating a vicious circle.

Until this debarcle I didn't realise that there was more than one Maori flag.. Even when they were whinging last year about the EU flag being flown this one time in EU camp or somethin.. Think it was last time Waitangi was about to roll around..

What do all the different Maori flags stand for? Different Iwi?? Are some more racial than others? Wot bout this one that Stedrah (redstar) is on about? Unity between Maori and Pookiha's on one flag? .. Mean. Isn't that what our current flag stads for though?

Or was that designed while Pookiha's were still shooting and swindling?

Two flags is a joke, as is the Maori flag, racism works both ways, and separatism does nobody any favours. The white hick backlash at this will fuel stupid Maori activist fires creating a vicious circle.

Totally agree, as shit as the flag may be, it represents all New Zealanders

looking at the current NZ flag...

seems to portray past british colonization (union jack + general colour theme) and the 'location' of the 'past colony' ie southern cross star sign...

how does that 'represent' 'us' ?

and whats the deal at sporting events - people see our team, thus counrty, in general, with 'white silver fern on black' whereas our flag is blue/red/white...

I vote for this flag

Designed by Hundertwasser in 1983

Quote from wiki "The Koru Flag has been proposed as a secondary flag for New Zealand. It was designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser in 1983. It is claimed by some New Zealanders that the current flag of New Zealand is a reminder of British colonialism and does not truly represent their culture"

"Hundertwasser also saw the design as representing humanity in harmony with nature."

I vote for this flag

Designed by Hundertwasser in 1983

Quote from wiki "The Koru Flag has been proposed as a secondary flag for New Zealand. It was designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser in 1983. It is claimed by some New Zealanders that the current flag of New Zealand is a reminder of British colonialism and does not truly represent their culture"

"Hundertwasser also saw the design as representing humanity in harmony with nature."

Looks good to me, only problem you will have is with the ww2 people who fought under that flag, and the pro-monarchists...

Stedrah (redstar) ?
eh wot ? wots all this then eh?

WhiiiiiiIIIIzzzzz!

I got one! I got one! Help me reel the bastard in!

Ooh yeah, it's a biggie.

Yah! *grabs ze net*

I help you catch zis 'stedrah'!

Best alias evah?

Stedrah (redstar) ?
eh wot ? wots all this then eh?

WhiiiiiiIIIIzzzzz!

I got one! I got one! Help me reel the bastard in!

Ooh yeah, it's a biggie.

Yah! *grabs ze net*

I help you catch zis 'stedrah'!

Best alias evah?

I like to Sedrah and to be Sedrah , I think everyone should Sedrah as much as possible specially towards the right (sic) innit..

Sedrah and subvert this...,,,