earplugs

zzzp

who suggests what. im starting to get a slight ringing in my ears constantly, which aint good, so needa sort this .

i tried some the other night, some 40buka ones from the net, and wasnt very impressed at all...

is there actually an ear plug that fits well, and softens the sounds up, not changes the sound so much its not worth wearing them? are they wearable when mixing etc, as coherants sound system thrashed me the other night to the point where it sounded like i was under water for a few hours, not good. dont mind paying the dollars for a decent set, .

i plan to go deaf then get some of these hearing aids...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7193

then enable my serato equipment to bluetooth the playing records directly into my artifical hearing with all background noise illiminated...

(i'm kidding obviously...and don't even own serato. But it could probably be done and is always a last resort for the deaf DJ)

i have used earbuddies and didnt think much of them tbh.. good service from the dude, but it just killed the whole sound.. no good.. need somethin that feels and sounds semi natural.. who else makes custom earplugs other than ak hearing asc.

Ive recently been on the same mission for plugs because i was getting paranoid over the ringing after every weekend.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/nasopl.html gives you the options. Ive shipped from here to NZ with no problems. About a 10 day wait though.

ER-20s (most popular in US) and MusicSafe Pro's (most popular in Europe) are both sold through earbuddies.co.nz and the earplugstore. Dont save much on the MusicSafe Pros by buying in the US once you factor in shipping and the NZ dollar though.

The ER-20s stick out a bit - but the music safe's dont.

The er-20s are also not as comfortable and dont have adjustable levels or the spare plug.

I doubt I'd even bother going back to Coherent if it was a Limewax B2B Fanu gig. I haven't been there since Klute I think and don't really miss it at all. Also wearing earplugs (side note: why the fuck are they always fluro) is scientific*ly proven to reduce the chance of you seeing a vagina within 24hrs. Every time I go to Coherent it hurts my ears. They need to rotate the DJ booth 90 Degrees to the right so its set out like old fu, so they don't have a fucking brick wall 5m in front of the rig. This would also stop the dance floor being stupidly retarded (people cramming by the door) etc.

Vote Dr Awesome.

Edited by Guest

I've got a pair of Earprotex ERX-MS which I picked up from the Rockshop about a year ago. They've got interchangeable filters (17dB NRR and 20dNRR).

I do find that they tend to 'deaden' the sound a bit, but that has to be preferable to long term hearing damage.

Keen to hear if anyone has experimented with any other options, and what they've found regarding clarity / comfort etc.

Also wearing earplugs (side note: why the fuck are they always fluro) is scientific proven to reduce the chance of you seeing a vagina within 24hrs.

Vote Dr Awesome.

haha.

You can get ones that you can barely see...

i have used earbuddies and didnt think much of them tbh.. good service from the dude, but it just killed the whole sound.. no good.. need somethin that feels and sounds semi natural.. who else makes custom earplugs other than ak hearing asc.

Just out of curiosity, you did remember to take the caps off the end of them right?

I've seen a few people complain about the Etymotic earplugs saying they muffle sound too much, yet they still have the caps left on the end, lolz.

I've been using the Etymotics for a while and actually prefer them to the custom moulded ones I had made. They do the job sweet as, you can mix with them in, they're cheap to replace if necessary and they come with a keyring carry case so you don't forget the fuckers!

No, I'm not sponsored.

have you tried with the cap on and with the cap off and tested to see if it sounds better with the cap off? It doesn't say anything about taking them off in the instructions and all I can find on the net about it is some dude on a forum saying he doesn't think you're supposed to take them off and when he tried it the treble seemed to sound better with the caps ON

I always left the cap on cause I thought it was part of the resonant cavity at the end. From my experience I don't think they sound good enough to mix with them in

*edit:*

Photo from the earbuddies website has them on as well

No, I'm not sponsored.

Sounds like you want to be IMO

Yeah, for a product worth US$15 ... that is a HOT sponsorship deal right thurr.

have you tried with the cap on and with the cap off and tested to see if it sounds better with the cap off? It doesn't say anything about taking them off in the instructions and all I can find on the net about it is some dude on a forum saying he doesn't think you're supposed to take them off and when he tried it the treble seemed to sound better with the caps ON

I always left the cap on cause I thought it was part of the resonant cavity at the end. From my experience I don't think they sound good enough to mix with them in

*edit:*

Photo from the earbuddies website has them on as well

They sound good with the cap off ... why would they be removable otherwise? What would the point of them be if they were fully sealed? May as well chuck a foam one in your ear. Look at the design of custom moulded plugs, they're not completely sealed off, they have a filter.

With the cap off the Etymotics reduce painful highs and room reflections/reverb MASSIVELY, yet not to the point where the sound is too muffled to be able to mix. The difference they make is huge and I actually prefer to mix with them in rather than out most of the time.

Oh well fuck it, that'll learn me for trying to help ... what would I know anyway ...

Oh well fuck it, that'll learn me for trying to help ... what would I know anyway ...

I wasn't hacking at you dude I was just pointing out that ER don't recommend taking the caps off. I imagine the cap is removable because that's the easiest way to produce them (pretty sure the whole structure is disassemblable, not just the end caps).

Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't sound better with the caps off - which is why I was asking if you tried it both ways. I lost mine somewhere a few months ago but if I buy some new ones then i'll try them with the caps off. When you were mixing with them did you just have one in facing the monitor? Can't imagine it would be very comfortable wearing one in your headphone ear as well

btw, which custom fitted plugs did you get?

I wasn't hacking at you dude I was just pointing out that ER don't recommend taking the caps off. I imagine the cap is removable because that's the easiest way to produce them (pretty sure the whole structure is disassemblable, not just the end caps).

Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't sound better with the caps off - which is why I was asking if you tried it both ways. I lost mine somewhere a few months ago but if I buy some new ones then i'll try them with the caps off. When you were mixing with them did you just have one in facing the monitor? Can't imagine it would be very comfortable wearing one in your headphone ear as well

btw, which custom fitted plugs did you get?

Yeah all good, didn't mean to come across so snappy .. all I really meant was that I have had a lot of experience using the Etymotic ER20s and have no reason to lie about what I've learned through using them!

Yes, I have tried them with the caps both on and off.

I found them to be utterly pointless with the caps on, sounded about the same as a foam plug .. remember these aren't meant to be completely sound-blocking earplugs, they are supposed to reduce the volume and noise to a more 'acceptable' level while not muffling out too much detail from what you are hearing.

I do wear them on both sides while mixing most of the time (sometimes I forget to wear them at all), I find it's not that uncomfortable.

I'm sure that a lot of people would assume that since the monitor speaker is 'louder' it must be doing more damage, but in my experience and opinion, loud headphone levels are equally, if not more, harmful and dangerous. And a lot of the time, you do have to have those phones up reasonably loud depending on the rig and monitoring setup!

The custom plugs I got made are the Hear Savers, they are obviously very good .. but personally I find the ER20s more comfortable and better suited to playing out, plus if you happen to get drunk and lose an earplug it won't put a downer on your night as you know you can get a replacement pair for $12US rather than a couple of hundred dollars! Hahaha. All strictly IMO of course.

I do think the Hear Savers and custom moulded plugs in general are a really good idea, but I also think the Etymotic ER20 plugs are a wicked product and absolutely stupidly cheap for what they do.

I recommend them to anyone as an affordable and effective way to protect their hearing so they can continue to enjoy loud music well into the future .. shit I've even worn them on planes, while using power tools, or when firing up our noisy rinsed out old vacuum cleaner with good results every time.

If anyone who has the Etymotics doesn't believe me about the cap thing, try it. Take the caps off and wear them out to the club, then after an hour or so take the plugs out and hear what they've been attenuating, the difference is ridiculous .. yet you are still able to make out most conversation and a lot of detail in the music with them in, even in that noisy environment.

Try it for one night, then go back to putting the caps on.

If you actually try this and then still think that I've steered you wrong, then come back into this thread and say so!

I'm quite confident in my claim ... and it will always crack me up (at least on the inside) when I see people wearing them with the caps on, regardless of what the instructions may neglect to mention ...

And ya, i only tried them without the plugs, i even chopped them slightly to size to make for a better fit.. Not to worry, im going to try the custom route, I just found they muffled the fuck out the sound to much, and if anything, the mids became painful to listen to. Ringing ears aint kool.

:lol:

And ya, i only tried them without the plugs, i even chopped them slightly to size to make for a better fit.. Not to worry, im going to try the custom route, I just found they muffled the fuck out the sound to much, and if anything, the mids became painful to listen to. Ringing ears aint kool.

True .. well don't expect a miracle with the custom moulded ones then, I hate to tell ya but the results are very similar ....

Your experience does seem really weird to read though, that's the first time I've heard of anyone having any of those problems .. and I know a LOT of people who use those plugs.

Oh well, best of luck to ya ...

Yeah, for a product worth US$15 ... that is a HOT sponsorship deal right thurr.

you should hit them up bro,i have friends in the skate world that have sponsorship deals from mounting bolt companies and they get more cash than you'd expect,not to mention the occasional free flight here and there.

mounting bolts are the ones that hold the trucks to the board rrp $5-$15

I gave up on earplugs after I lost my 3rd pair of 250 dollar custom fitted frequency specific noise reduction jobs at the start of this year. Could never mix with them on anyway, i was just using them while everyone else was playing.

Dont fear deafness bro, its character building. Just imagine the ringing in your ears is a soothing field of crickets or frogs by a pond. Works for me