Recording

hybriddnb

that sound quality really isnt that good dude ^^^^^^

i was doing exactly that before i had had enough and wanted to record at better quality. if u are wanting to just record mixes to test ur mixing abilities then yea go ahead but if u want something you can chuck on ur stereo and or headphones and crank at 195 or 320kbps then id seriously recommend the former.

that sound quality really isnt that good dude ^^^^^^

probably right, but should extend that to say that it depends on your Computer, more specifically the Sound Card (and the software) as to the quality of the recording.

Someone like Perceptual Chaos might be able to give you the nitty gritty but generally speaking your standard Computer comes with a shit sound card. As to how shit the quality is, well... not sure about that.

Surely you can record at an OK quality from a "Software Dependant" (Uses minimal Hardware and relies on CPU/Memory of Main PC) Soundcard? Or is it the quality of the Analogue-to-Digital converter chip which is the issue? Someone enlighten us

Chemicals delivery time is fast. I can order something on a Saturday morning & I'll have it that Friday. Other stuff I ordered from the UK has taken upto 3 weeks!

Their pricing is so good to. Most stuff delivered is still a lot cheaper than buying here, but you got to support the local boys to.

70% of the time they are fast, 30% theyre not. Ive been waiting since march 26 for a shipment, and since 9th of april for another.

yeah the main problem is with the anlog part of the conversion i.e. in the CODEC for onboard soundcards. Not a lot of people use the line in so it's often neglected.

Aside from dumbass's trying to plug into the mic input instead of the line input - I think a lot of recording issues are just due to gain management problems - i.e. you need to make sure that the signal is as loud as it can be without the signal clipping at any point in the signal path. If it's too quiet then the noise will become a significant problem and if it clips then it sounds like muck. A shitty CODEC or shitty mixer will make this worse cause there may be a non-zero output impedance on the output stage of the mixer and a non-infinite input impedance on the CODEC frontend.

Also the CODEC may have terrible harmonic distortion figures on it's gain elements and a terrible signal to noise ratio on the ADC which will both significantly contribute to perceived quality.

I think newer motherboards will have better CODEC's so if you have a newer mobo and money is a big issue for you then it might be wise to just see how it sounds and play around with the levels on your mixer to optimize the quality. If you're not really too worried about money and just want something that works reliably and works well then get the external one. It's also more convenient in terms of interfacing cause you can just use RCA's all the time

the other thing you need to worry about with using the internal sound card as a recording device like that is the electro magnetic field from all the other components inside your computer interferring with the signal and creating noise.

probably not a major to be honest, but its still a factor.

external ftw.

Just use audacity, it is completely free. That will let you record to wav, then you can export it to mp3 once recorded. You will need to download the lame_enc.dll file to go with this which allows you to encode mp3's higher than the default 128kpbs. If you need help figuring this bit out just post up once you get to it and somebody here can help.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/