Legalise it!

dr_weazel

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4238892a12.html

Legalise all drugs, top British police officer says

One of Britain's most senior police officers is set to call for the legalisation of all drugs.

Chief Constable of North Wales Richard Brunstrom said drugs, including heroin and cocaine, should be legalised in a shift away from a failed UK policy based on "prohibition", The Independent newspaper reported yesterday.

"If policy on drugs is in future to be pragmatic not moralistic, driven by ethics not dogma, then the current prohibitionist stance will have to be swept away as both unworkable and immoral," Brunstrom was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Brunstrom said current policy should be "replaced with an evidence-based unified system (specifically including tobacco and alcohol) aimed at minimisation of harms to society".

His comments were contained in a report to be presented to the North Wales Police Authority yesterday as Britain's Home Office this week finishes gathering expert advice on strategy for the next decade.

Brunstrom will urge his colleagues to hand the report, entitled Drugs Policy – a radical look ahead, to Westminster and the Welsh Assembly, the paper said.

I like that mans way of thinking.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4238892a12.html

Legalise all drugs, top British police officer says

One of Britain's most senior police officers is set to call for the legalisation of all drugs.

Chief Constable of North Wales Richard Brunstrom said drugs, including heroin and cocaine, should be legalised in a shift away from a failed UK policy based on "prohibition", The Independent newspaper reported yesterday.

"If policy on drugs is in future to be pragmatic not moralistic, driven by ethics not dogma, then the current prohibitionist stance will have to be swept away as both unworkable and immoral," Brunstrom was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Brunstrom said current policy should be "replaced with an evidence-based unified system (specifically including tobacco and alcohol) aimed at minimisation of harms to society".

His comments were contained in a report to be presented to the North Wales Police Authority yesterday as Britain's Home Office this week finishes gathering expert advice on strategy for the next decade.

Brunstrom will urge his colleagues to hand the report, entitled Drugs Policy – a radical look ahead, to Westminster and the Welsh Assembly, the paper said.

I like that mans way of thinking.

this will only serve to passify the masses more

heres your state sanctioned drugs your tv and your mcdonalds ,, now,,, go and dont think

That's so random that you posted this.. I was In heathrow yesterday and actually brought the Independent because it had this on the cover! It's sittin here on my desk, random as.. Anyways, as a read it's pretty boring, goes over the same common sense sorta stuff you hear all the time, how the war on drugs isn't working, how regulation is key, where the money goes etc..

This follows a UK Govt commissioned study that released it's results about 5 months back, a team of experts were asked to advise the govt as to the effects of certain drugs and where they should be placed on the schedule.

Up the top as as far as social harm caused were, Alcohol, Tobacco and Coke. Pot and MDMA were listed waaay down the bottom, they even argued that MDMA should be available for therapists to use as it was back in the 70's.

As if Gordon's gonna do that.. Yep that's right folks, No election but you can buy some drugs from the 2/4 to make yourself feel better about it.

Ok... so he two most harmful drugs in society are the legal ones..

remind me again.. how exactly does making the other, far more addictive and harmful drugs legal make theyre effects on society lessened?

logic would dictate that making them legal would make them more widespread as alcohol and tobacco are, hence increasing their harm to society and not decreasing it at all?

I understand where theyre coming from talking about making drugs a moral issue and not a legal one. Trying to make people not do them because they realise how much harm its doing to themselves and everyone around them.. but i mean.. come on.. look at society.. thats never going to work.. Everyone would be too busy being high and partying to have the self control and morality to abstain from drugs.

and again i understand that not all drugs are bad. Drugs taken recreationally and in the right frame of mind can give you some of the most spiritual and enlightening experiences of your life.

but its far too easy for people to slip into the rutt of addiction..

and personally.. i dont want heroin running rampant on the streets that my kids have to grow up on..

Edited by Guest

remind me again.. how exactly does making the other, far more addictive and harmful drugs legal make theyre effects on society lessened?

Their studies showed that almost all other drugs are not as harmful and addictive. 367 deaths attributed to 'drugs' in the UK last year, I don't have the figures for Alcohol and tobacco but I know that even in NZ the deaths from tobacco are in the thousands and harm from alcohol is way more widespread, not just the deaths but the social harm.. Violence in the home, health effects etc. It's just not fair that a drug that's never killed anyone (weed) should be illegal, there was an outcry when they re-classified it to class C ffs, a far more proportianate rank but still unfair.

And anyone who's popped a pill knows that even if it were legal, you'd still have far less social harm attributed to this drug than we have with Alcohol, and in a proportionate regulatory system this would be offset by alcohol being illegal anyway.

Sure, don't make em all legal, no-one wants to see needles and bags of PCP at the local chemist, but regulate drugs according to the actual harm they pose to society.

I'd swap bottle stores for pill and pot shops any day, in fact I'd probably open one myself just to get the wholesale rate.

I just want to say that I dont neccessarily think all drugs should be legal, I only posted this because I knew it would be of interest to people on here.

But... look at the one place in the world were all drugs practically are legal... Amsterdam (yes yes smartypants, I know they're not all ACTUALLY legal, but the police practically treat them like they are).. they have one of the lowest rates of drug-abuse in the western world (as long as you dont count the tourists).

Their studies showed that almost all other drugs are not as harmful and addictive. 367 deaths attributed to 'drugs' in the UK last year, I don't have the figures for Alcohol and tobacco but I know that even in NZ the deaths from tobacco are in the thousands and harm from alcohol is way more widespread, not just the deaths but the social harm.. Violence in the home, health effects etc. It's just not fair that a drug that's never killed anyone (weed) should be illegal, there was an outcry when they re-classified it to class C ffs, a far more proportianate rank but still unfair.

And anyone who's popped a pill knows that even if it were legal, you'd still have far less social harm attributed to this drug than we have with Alcohol, and in a proportionate regulatory system this would be offset by alcohol being illegal anyway.

Sure, don't make em all legal, no-one wants to see needles and bags of PCP at the local chemist, but regulate drugs according to the actual harm they pose to society.

I'd swap bottle stores for pill and pot shops any day, in fact I'd probably open one myself just to get the wholesale rate.

yeah, sweet as. but thats not what this dude is saying.. hes saying all drugs should be legal which is completely retarded..

fuck legalising heroin, cocaine and crack etc..

its like saying.. we dont need any laws at all, lets just rely on peoples honesty, integrity and morality and trust them to do the right thing.. no ones gonna steal, no ones gonna murder..

FUCK THAT.. not gonna work eh..

not in todays society anyway..

Amsterdam (yes yes smartypants, I know they're not all ACTUALLY legal, but the police practically treat them like they are).. they have one of the lowest rates of drug-abuse in the western world (as long as you dont count the tourists).

Not to mention one of the highest crime rates in the world, if not the highest I believe.

in fact I'd probably open one myself just to get the wholesale rate.

Amsterdam (yes yes smartypants, I know they're not all ACTUALLY legal, but the police practically treat them like they are).. they have one of the lowest rates of drug-abuse in the western world (as long as you dont count the tourists).

Not to mention one of the highest crime rates in the world, if not the highest I believe.

So... ummm... what you're trying to say is that taking drugs means less crime?

I'm sorry, I just cant see the relevance there.

needs more poll...

not to be confused with pole (ghey)...

I'm all for regulation of Cannabis in the form of partial decriminalization (Age Restriction, Growing Restrictions, Vendor Accountability) ... same with BZP, Most Psychedelics, MDMA, MDA...

I can't say the same for Cocaine, Heroine, Morphine, Amphetamines...

No argument needed here...

P.S. Jim Anderton is a fuckwit

Edited by Guest

So... ummm... what you're trying to say is that taking drugs means less crime?

I'm sorry, I just cant see the relevance there.

Ummm No I was merely making a statement, the place where drugs are legal has the highest crime rate in the world. And No i'm not saying it's because of the drugs, i'm just saying. Relevant enough for you I hope?

Don't be sorry.