Geek LOL

Pakage

You are kidding arent you ?

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

It wont happen

I dont see how this will happen at all.

Vista is far more powerful than windows XP, and runs twice as fast. It is also much harder to pirate, and this point more than anything else has the Linux crowd in a panic.

It wont be long until Windows XP is no longer supported, and when that happens, what is Linux going to do ?

Linux will have to find a way to work under Vista from here on, since it wont be able to rely on XP being readily available anymore.

Linux may seem like a good alternative to Office, but all that is happening in linux is that the windows interface is cleverly hidden away. It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

This is just plain piracy.

Vista will finally put an end to this blatant abuse of intellectual property, and linux should decline, taking the pirates with it.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows XP in place of Vista surely has a hidden agenda .. and you will surely be caught out.

Vista is the Future

Its clearly evident that vista is the future.

One only has to watch TV for a short period of time and see the advertising.

WOW !!

I personally love the part where the young man is taking a stroll in the delightful snow covered streets, and sees firsthand a young deer with a gleefull glint in its eye. It sends a shiver down my spine. WOW is all I can say.

Vista is clearly the future of enterprise computing.

that wont work without THEFT of intellectual property

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

fuckin lol!

cant believe that people are actually this retarded, ignorant and arrogant to argue a subject they obviously know nothing about..

well.. actually i can.. i deal with cocky noobz liek this every day at work

hahaha, I got as far as:

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

And fell off my chair laughing. This dude is all kinds of stupid.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows XP in place of Vista surely has a hidden agenda ..

Yes... a hidden agenda of "wanting stuff to actually work."

If Vista actually worked with... well... ANY programs, it would be great.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows XP in place of Vista surely has a hidden agenda ..

Don't wanna sound like a Microsoft crusader but I haven't found a program that doesn't work on Vista yet.

Don't wanna sound like a Microsoft crusader but I haven't found a program that doesn't work on Vista yet.

I know a lot of people that have had all sorts of problems running pretty much anything on Vista, off the top of my head the first one that comes to mind is Ableton Live.

In fact there was even an article recently in Computerworld (yep, I read it cause it's sent to me at work) stating that Microsoft had to do a big u-turn on their new policy of only allowing resellers to ship computers with Vista because there were so many compatibility issues with programs. So they gave in and allowed resellers to ship new machines with XP again.

I know a lot of people that have had all sorts of problems running pretty much anything on Vista, off the top of my head the first one that comes to mind is Ableton Live.

In fact there was even an article recently in Computerworld (yep, I read it cause it's sent to me at work) stating that Microsoft had to do a big u-turn on their new policy of only allowing resellers to ship computers with Vista because there were so many compatibility issues with programs. So they gave in and allowed resellers to ship new machines with XP again.

There are some compatibility issues and yes resellers such as Dell are now giving people a choice of OS rather than forcing one or the other onto customers, however this is largely fueled by initial backlash about Vista's first few weeks where driver support was terrible and people were having big problems getting their periferal devices up and running. I've been using Vista Ultimate 64 bit exclusively for the last 6 months and actually have found it to be a more stable OS than XP. In Vista I haven't ever faced having to restart my PC as happens reasonably regularly in XP when a program stops responding and in turn the rest of the system shits itself. By now most software manufacturers have got their "Vista Patch" or vista versions released so I really haven't found much which I can't do on Vista.

Do any of you remember how long XP was a joke for before it finally got its shit sorted? Longer than Vista has been around for so far thats for sure.

All that said...it's a Microsoft OS, it does the job but its never really gonna blow your mind.

Do any of you remember how long XP was a joke for before it finally got its shit sorted? Longer than Vista has been around for so far thats for sure.

All that said...it's a Microsoft OS, it does the job but its never really gonna blow your mind.

QFT

Edited by Guest

It's going to take people a while to re-write their applications to work in Vista. A lot of the Windows API is completely different than it was in XP along with the security enhancements like ASLR and DEP, simple programming techniques that worked in XP are now complex in Vista... all in the name of security.

The issues of 'Compatability' are there in some cases because the way things were done in XP led to people exploiting the Operating System and installing Viruses etc... now that's less likely to happen but the trade-off is the problems people encounter waiting for their software vendors to catch up.

Don't be mislead, windows Vista is still insecure, they've just made it harder to exploit. Gotta be said that the technology has been in Linux for years.

There are some compatibility issues and yes resellers such as Dell are now giving people a choice of OS rather than forcing one or the other onto customers, however this is largely fueled by initial backlash about Vista's first few weeks where driver support was terrible and people were having big problems getting their periferal devices up and running. I've been using Vista Ultimate 64 bit exclusively for the last 6 months and actually have found it to be a more stable OS than XP. In Vista I haven't ever faced having to restart my PC as happens reasonably regularly in XP when a program stops responding and in turn the rest of the system shits itself. By now most software manufacturers have got their "Vista Patch" or vista versions released so I really haven't found much which I can't do on Vista.

Considering the Computerworld article was only about a month and a half ago, I have a lot of trouble believing that it's been sorted already. Personally, I wouldn't touch a new OS for at least a year after it's initial release, if not two. No matter whether it's Microsoft, Apple, Linux or otherwise. I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you spend all your time on the leading edge of technology, you're bound to either fall off or get cut.

Dont take this as me being a "Microsoft Hater" because that's not the case at all. Bitch about their practices and bugs all you want, they're still more compatible with more things than Apple or Linux. I'm definitely firmly in the Microsoft camp, and WILL be getting Vista once it's PROVEN itself. But I'll get it for myself and test it before deploying it on my work network though, that's for sure.

Oh totally, I wouldn't be too keen on running a business on Vista just yet. It's sweet as for home use though. The thing is you always need people to test the waters so to speak, so that bugs can be found and fixed and I don't mind being one of those people at all. I ran dual boot with XP for a few months before ditching it entirely to be on the safe side.

I'm sick of it all... Hardware Vendors should not be putting "Vista Capable" Stickers on Hardware which will run Vista like a Dog..

In regards to Vista as an OS.. how long is it going to be until MicroSoft needs to re-do everything?... again?...

I'm sick of it all... Hardware Vendors should not be putting "Vista Capable" Stickers on Hardware which will run Vista like a Dog..

In regards to Vista as an OS.. how long is it going to be until MicroSoft needs to re-do everything?... again?...

They already are. "Windows 7" has been in production for a few years. Slated for release in 2010 or 2011 I think. Total re-think of the standard "windows" concept. I hear there will be no start menu/task bar. Whether the final product will be any good is a guess at this point.

It's all about that new concept Microsoft showcased recently.... "Microsoft Surface"

Shit is badass!

Have you seen the spoof video of this on Break? Do a search for it, funny as hell!!

"Why would I want to use a mapping feature readily available in many of todays handheld devices, when I can use my huge ass coffee table"...

Classic stuff